... for Dil Se's Show Me Your Salad event!
For Broccoli Salad...
• 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
• 2 tbs. sugar
• 2 - 4 tbs. cider vinegar (according to taste)
• 1 pound broccoli flowerets
• 1/3 - 2/3 cups raisins (optional)
• 6 - 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
• 2 - 4 tbs. chopped red onion
In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Add remaining ingredients and chill. Store covered.
For Lime Chicken Salad w/ Avocado & Spinach...
• 3 ounces fresh baby spinach
• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 3 limes)
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
• salt to taste
• 4 ounce chicken breasts, sliced thin
• 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
• 1 cup grape tomatoes
• 1/2 a cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves only
In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour half of this over the chicken, marinating chicken for one hour. When ready, shallow fry the chicken till done, cooling completely. When ready to serve, combine the vegetables and chicken along with the remaining lime mixture. Serve Immediately.
For Cold Chicken Salad...
• about 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 5 cups water with chicken bouillon
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 onion, chopped fine
• 1 rib celery, halved and sliced
• 3/4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
• 1 cup walnuts, broken up
• about 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
• salt & pepper to taste
• 2 tbs. lemon juice
Simmer chicken in bouillon water until done and easily pulls apart with a fork (save that water for stock!!!) Cool chicken and pull part into smaller pieces. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Add remaining ingredients, stir and chill. Serve on bread or buns.
For chicken stock:
Throw a rib of celery with leaves in the reserved water along with a carrot and onion, cut up...simmer and reduce. Strain and refrigerate, or freeze, for later.
~ "It takes four men to dress a salad: A wise man for the salt, a madman for the pepper, a miser for the vinegar, and a spendthrift for the oil" - Anonymous ~
~ "The embarrassing thing is that the salad dressing is outgrossing my films - Paul Newman" ~