I have various ways of making this, some following recipes, others just off the top of my head. This one follows closely a recipe from Betty Crocker's Indian Home cooking. I have adjusted the spices a bit and used black salt instead of regular table salt. I also used a can of tomatoes instead of fresh, as that is what I had available. I made this a bit mild as my daughter had a friend over and I didn't want to scare her from trying new foods at our house!
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbs. ginger root, chopped (I used paste)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounce) chopped tomatoes with green chilies (or a couple fresh tomatoes chopped)
- 1 tbs. mango powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. black salt (or regular salt)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 cans (about 30 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- some fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat oil in skillet and sizzle cumin seeds about 30 seconds. Add onion, ginger and garlic and fry until onion is golden. Stir in tomatoes, mango powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, black salt, cayenne, and ground cardamom. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes until oil shows up on surface. Stir in garbanzo beans and water. Cover and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with cilantro.
I have been tagged by Aditi over at My Kitchen Stories for 10 things I hate...
1) I know this may be weird being a food blogger but I hate when I am eating and people want to come and hover over my food and ask me what I am eating. Actually, I just really hate being asked what I'm eating if they are hovering or not!
2) I hate when people can't just come right out and ask something so they "beat around the bush" hoping they will get what they want without asking. I will purposely not do what I know they want as this bothers me so much!
3) I hate cheesecake! I use to love it until I made my first one alone. When I realized how much cream cheese was in it, I couldn't eat it anymore! I can still eat the Jello No-Bake kind though :)
4) I hate loud noises. It will instantly put me in a bad mood if I have to endure loud noises. Mostly this comes in the form of a radio too loud (unless I am driving, then It's never too loud) or a T.V. up too loud. I also hate when people have to speak so damn loud when they are right next to me!
5) This is kind of funny because of the nature of this meme, but I hate when all someone can do is complain! Some people can complain about anything and cause issues with nothing. I can't stand that... It drives me freakin' nuts!
6) I hate having to pay my bills!
7) I hate not being rich.
8) I hate when people are behind me and I don't know why (like someone is right now).
9) I hate getting really hungry till my stomach is hurting and growling cuz it makes me so unbelievably grouchy till I eat!
10) I hate that I don't live in Chicago cuz I hate Kalamazoo!!!